Every day we are exposed to toxins that we have no control over (i.e. our fruit was sprayed with pesticides, there’s pollution in the air we breath, etc). But when it comes to our beauty regimen, we have all the control! Knowledge is power, and with that comes the beauty of choice. We can choose which products we want to use to beautify us, and which to toss in the garbage.
Wailani Nail Polish was created as a more natural alternative to common commercial nail polishes, for those who wish to live a more toxic-free life while still looking fabulous!
It is easy to say that our nail polish is “non toxic,” but what does that mean and why is it important? The nail, just like the skin, has a dermis and epidermis and absorbs the toxins that are put onto it. Exposure over time can have some seriously harmful effects, which you’ll see below.
The following list of toxic chemicals are used in many nail polishes today, but are NOT in Wailani Nail Polish:
- Toluene: A petroleum/coal tar derived chemical that gives nail polish a smooth finish and helps it to stay on the nail. Its side effects include reproductive damage and respiratory complications.
- Dibutyl phthalate (DBP): A chemical added to nail polish formula to keep it flexible. It is the ingredient that’s most linked to reproductive issues.
- Formaldehyde: A chemical that acts as a hardener for nail polish and is also a known carcinogen that has been proven to cause cancer.
- Formaldehyde Resin: This is a derivative of Formaldehyde that may be slightly less toxic but is still a carcinogen and allergen. It’s included to harden and smooth the nail polish.
- Camphor: This is a plasticizer that makes polish flexible. It’s also a neurotoxin, which can cause seizures if ingested and liver damage when absorbed into the skin.
- Triphenyl phosphate (TPHP): A plasticizer that is known to cause reproductive and developmental toxicity, neurotoxicity, metabolic disruption, and genotoxicity. It is also known to disrupt humans’ endocrine system, which controls all our hormones.
- Xylene: A petroleum solvent that can cause irritation to the eyes and respiratory tract, headaches, dizziness, and other central nervous system effects.
- Lead: An impurity used in color cosmetics that has been linked to learning, language and behavioral problems. The US banned its use in the last couple of decades, however it can still be found in foreign polishes. Lead is a well-known and proven neurotoxin.
- Parabens: Chemicals used to preserve cosmetics. More research is being done, but recent studies show that parabens can spur the growth of certain types of breast cancer cells.
- Ethyl Tosylamide: A plasticizer that increases the durability and improves wear of nail polish, and dries to help form a film coating that holds color to the nail plate. Europe has actually banned the use of this chemical because of its antibacterical properties and concern over antibiotic resistance.